Current owners are entitled to be reimbursed for the mileage discrepancy for as long as they own one of the nearly 900,000 Kia or Hyundai vehicles that had inflated fuel-economy estimates, as we noted in our recent explanation of how the program will work.


Whether you receive the money annually, monthly or on a different schedule can depend on how many miles you drive and how frequently you choose to stop at a dealership for an odometer reading. Someone who drives 5,000 miles per year, for example, may decide to get reimbursed once a year, and someone else who drives 60,000 miles per year may want to do it more frequently, so they might stop at a dealership monthly or quarterly.

How much you receive will depend on how many miles you drive and the price of gas in your area.

If you haven’t already, you should register your vehicle at You will need your vehicle identification number, the date of purchase and the number of miles on the odometer when you bought it and currently.

Learn more

Answered by Rick Popely on February 7, 2013 in Hyundai , I'm Just Wondering , Kia | Permalink

Search Results Search Results for


See if your question has already been asked and answered

Thank You!

Your question has been successfully submitted to It will now be reviewed by our editors and we'll answer it soon if we think it's a useful question. You will be notified via e-mail when the answer is posted. tackles your questions about new cars and the car-buying process. Unfortunately we can't answer questions regarding:

  • Used cars.
  • Most aftermarket products.
  • Mechanical issues. You can visit our friends at Car Talk to discuss your mechanical problems.
Thanks for your interest.


Have our experts answer any of your questions about new cars.

Email us at

Maintenance Advice
Get answers from the
Car Talk Community