Unibody is a type of vehicle body construction in which the frame and body are a single unit.

Rather than a separate, ladder-style frame, as is used in body-on-frame construction, the unibody vehicle’s integral floor pan — the metal that forms the vehicle’s underside — provides the main structural element to which the mechanical components attach. Also known as unit body, unitized or unitary construction, this design makes for a lighter vehicle overall and is the basis for virtually all passenger cars.

Learn more

Answered by Joe Bruzek on October 22, 2008 in Glossary | Permalink

Search Results

Ask.cars.com Search Results for


See if your question has already been asked and answered

Thank You!

Your question has been successfully submitted to Ask.cars.com. It will now be reviewed by our editors and we'll answer it soon if we think it's a useful question. You will be notified via e-mail when the answer is posted. Ask.cars.com tackles your questions about new cars and the car-buying process. Unfortunately we can't answer questions regarding:

  • Used cars.
  • Most aftermarket products.
  • Mechanical issues. You can visit our friends at Car Talk to discuss your mechanical problems.
Thanks for your interest.


Have our experts answer any of your questions about new cars.

Email us at tips@cars.com

Maintenance Advice
Get answers from the
Car Talk Community